BASICS OF BLACKJACK ETIQUETTE
- Choose a seat at an open table: Before you can play at the table you need chips, so you have to let the dealer exchange your money to a denomination of chips you prefer. Do not hand the money to the dealer, for security reasons lay it on the felt. Once this is done, you can place your bet in the betting box and you are good to go. We highly recommend you avoid the seat on the far left of the table as this is the spot that comes right before the dealer. Good luck!
- More action less words: At a casino’s blackjack table, there is no need for small talk. Talking to other players is a big no no. There is no need to utter a single word, in fact you blend more in the crowd if you remain quiet throughout the whole game. For hitting, you can either tap on the table or else you can drag the card. For standing, place the chips on top of your cards. If you want to split, add another bet and point two fingers and to double down, add another bet to the betting box and point one finger.
- Always assume the dealer has a ten: Always take it for granted that the card facing down has better odds of being a ten than any other value. If the dealer is showing a card of six or lower, the idea is they will stop.
- Know when it’s time to leave the table: If luck is not on your side then it’s probably a good idea to walk away. You don’t have to be a professional player to realise that the chips are running out. It is always a good idea if you bet in increments- we learnt this the hard way!
Game of skill
Take note of this procedure and try to learn some Blackjack basic rules of thumb. Unlike other casino games such as slots, blackjack is a game of skill. Therefore it would really help if you learn some tricks and enhance the quality of your strategy.
- Select a blackjack table where the maximum betting limit is not higher than 5% of your funds
- Always stand hard 17 and over, and never stand a soft 17
- Do not deviate from strategy based on feelings
- Always remember that the rules vary from one casino to another